Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I am missing my friend....

It's been 4 days and I think I am finally ready to write this. For those of you who haven't heard the news by now, the world lost a beautiful woman and amazing mother Friday morning. Aleida Franklin was driving to work when someone ran the red light and hit her. She died very shortly at the hospital. 10 hours after her death I came home from work, logged into my email, getting ready to send her an email about a movie this weekend when I saw an email from April at Studio Calico. I didn't understand her email. All it said was

"Just wanted to contact you regarding Aleida and the news I heard this morning. Is everything alright?"


I had no idea what she was talking about. I grabbed my phone and called her cell...no answer. Then I jumped on the boards at SC and read the news. My amazingly talented, beautiful friend was dead. My heart stopped, and for a moment I stopped breathing. It was like some one had punched me in the stomach. Was this real? Then I saw a post from one of our mutual friends, and I sent her a PM with my cell asking for confirmation and Brandon's number. I had to hear the truth from "real" sources. I didn't doubt my eyes...I just didn't want to believe what I was reading.

4 days later I am still very sad, but at the same time I am amazed. The response from the scrapbook community has been so overwhelming! So many people have visited Aleida's blog, sharing their sadness and offering condolences and prayers for her family. If she ever had any doubts about being loved, they were all blown away. So many people read her blogs or knew her from online scrapbook message boards.



Aleida came into my life mid summer last year while I was working at Recollections. She was a spunky, feisty and sarcastic scrapper that spoke her mind and had a style all her own. Admittedly I was intimidated by her when we first met. Over the next couple of months we got used to each other and started talking about our lives outside of the store. By September I was happy to call her my friend. We started sharing our goals and dreams of what we wanted, both in our scrapbooking and in our lives. Then Dave proposed. Naturally Aleida was one of the first girls I thought of when I started thinking about Brides Maids. The look on her face when I asked her...it was brilliant. That was the day our friendship, in my mind, changed forever. That was the day I started to consider her as one of my best friends. I was so inspired by her work, her zest for life, the love she had for her family, but most of all I was inspired by her spirit. She spoke her mind and never thought twice about it, nor did she regret it. She gave encouragement to all who entered our store and all who encountered her online. She was fun to be around and she made sure you know how she felt about you.

Tonight I sit in my office, looking through my albums...thumbing through memories, remembering my friend. I created this LO after she made the Scrap the Music DT. It was perfect. Looking at it now, it is even more perfect. Her friendship was a true gift and I will treasure it always. I love you Aleida. I will miss you, but I will take what you taught me about life and use it every day. Thank you for living your life and loving those around you. I'll see you again someday.


9 comments:

MishMash said...

Hi Jessi,
Had to leave a comment as I am still confused and sad. We forget how precious life is.

MishMash said...

Hi Jessi,
Had to leave a comment as I am still confused and sad. We forget how precious life is.

Nancywithajones said...

OH Jess... Bless your sweet heart. Ya know,Alot of people go through life never experiencing that kind of true friendship. You have been blessed well the world was truly blessed by her presence. I know your heart is hurting as I can only begin to imagine, I hope in time you can look back an reflect with less pain of the loss and more Thank GOD I had her in my life. (I KNOW YOU DO have that now but Im saying hopefully in TIME the hurt gets a little less)
She was an absolute beautiful human being just completely. She had a different level of life that I can only wish for. Like she saw things so much clearer.
She was also very blessed to have YOU. Big hugs my friend. I hope your heart can have some peace. I know it will be hard but if you need to.. just know you have friends that will listen and let you lean on them.

Anonymous said...

Sweet girl,
what a wonderful story of friendship and devotion to dear Aleida. I could feel your heart writing that letter about her. You two were so much fun to watch and be around. I still remember all the fun we all had togther while we were working at Recollections. There was always so much laughter when she was around, I always looked forward to nights when you were both working because I knew it would be a wonderful time. When I first started working there I was also intimidated by both of you because you had this commentary together that I just didn't know what to think about.. You two would just look at each other and say "Girl,this is just how we roll!" It didn't take too long to realize how much fun you two were and there was no reason to ever feel intimidated. I will always remember those days and many nights full of laughter! It is so wonderful and encouraging to see all the outpouring of love from the scrapbooking world. There is so many people who have been touched by her spirit, it is just incredible. It just makes you feel so blessed to have known her and to have been apart of her life. You have a very special relationship that will never end. She will always be a deep part of you and an inspiration for your greatest passions. She is surely missed and it is a real sad time. I too, will miss her and feel incredible sympathy for her sweet little Bella and Joshua,and her loving husband. I just pray in time they will be okay and always know just how much Aleida loved them so. I pray for you, her family and all of us who feel great saddness for the loss of this beautiful woman. She will never truly be gone though, she still lives on forever in our hearts, memories and everyday thoughts! I look forward to seeing you on Friday and giving you a big hug!
Love,
Ambra

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Jess.

Anonymous said...

Jessi - your post tore my heart wide open again...but your words are so sincere and so accurate about that crazy gal that made us laugh so hard. I will see you in a couple of days...please let me know if you need anything.

sonia

Nancywithajones said...

IM thinkin of you today jessi I know today is the memorial service. I posted on my blog about it and gave you hugs.
email me when you feel like it. Im praying for you. for everyone today.

Andrea Amu said...

I am sooo sorry! How wonderful to have been blessed with a true friendship with Aleida. She won't be forgotten!

Julie said...

I'm so sad, I miss her. This is so unfair...Thank you for these beautiful words about Aleida, thank you.