Sunday, September 16, 2007

Frustration!!!

So I feel the need to vent. I haven't been trying very long to get published, but lately I've been annoyed with LO's I'm seeing in magazines in my store. It's not that I don't appreciate their beauty or the effort the artist put into them. The problem I have is I don't think they portray the way over half of America scrapbooks. I never realized how frustrating this truly is until I was at a crop this weekend. I was seated next to a couple of ladies who NEVER scrapbooked before 2 weeks ago. They were asking our crop hostess for ideas, and our girl referred her to our store supply of idea books. One lady brought them back and 10 minutes later she was up again to find another mag...then another, then another. I asked if she was finding any inspiration and she said "I don't have the money it takes to scrap the way these magazine people do." She showed me the pics she was looking at and sighed, "They only have one picture per page. If I did that I'd have 100 albums just for my daughters Freshman year." Another instance arose a few weeks ago when I was scrapping with my girlfriend. She said she loves my pages, but she takes way too many photos to scrapbook the way I do. I know she and I have very different scrapping styles, which I love, but it frustrates me that she feels her pages have to be less exciting because of the amount of pics she takes. I know there are a lot of styles out there, I really to. I just wish more of the mainstream magazines and websites acknowledged this. I feel I am an very talented scrapper, but sometimes I feel even my pages are inadequate against those of the "celebrity designers" because I go for max pics per page in over half my album. I just want to teach new scrappers that you can have fabulous pages with multiple photos without sacrificing style and beauty. I wish other sites and magazines would join me in this...it would make scrapping more fun and enjoyable for all, I think.

Ok...I'm off my sopabox now. I'll be posting new pics over the next few days, so keep an eye out. Good night bloggers, and thanks for reading my ramblings. You mean the world to me.
*~*Hugs*~*

5 comments:

Nancywithajones said...

I understand what you mean. Most of the girls when I went to this crop at our church looked at me like I showed up in my underwear when they looked at my books. THey said AINT NO WAY we can do this. I told them yes you can. BUt I know what you mean. I have alot of the one photo pages but I LOVE THEM. THeya re so pretty. but I wonder if 20 years from now my daughter will be sickof them. She has 9 albums and is only 4 and when I say album I dont mean 20 pages. Im talking SMACK FULL like 100 pages and up. Yeah it is an illness. BUT I just cannot do those 40 photos on a page pages and them look good to me. I try but they look awful when I do them. Ilove the artsy embellied up pages.
I can understand the frustration though when looking at the magazines. I have been told my pages were too hard for people to copy that is why it wasnt published. HUH? OK it doesnt matter that the page rocks or i workd a week on it or the photos or the story with it.. it is just too hard to replicate.
I can beat this subject to death. MY BIG PROBLEM is Im tired of seeing the same people every single one. Same people on every manu dt. On every BIG dt.. same folks. HOW DO THEY DO IT? WHEN DO THEY SLEEP? and THOSE SAME PEOPLE are the ones on every page of the mags. ALot of what IM seeing in the magazines now.. is just not appealing to me. They arent pretty.. no journaling.. no story with it.. just a tiny picture on a huge page with some doodles. gag. Ok now I will get off MY Soap box hahahaha!

Jessi Gribbin said...

LOL!! You totally make me smile. :) I don't mind sinlge page LO's, I just wish mags showed more than that. I rarely put more than 3 pics per page, but mags rarely show 3 4x6 photos on a page. I could go on and on but peeps would get bored with me so I'll keep "fighting the good fight" and keep on scrappin'. Hugs!!

TanishaRenee said...

I can totally understand your frustration! A few of the mags seem like they are trying to add a few more multi pic pages. It is difficult when you take a lot of pics, but I've learned to take on the motto "just because I snap it doesn't mean I have to scrap it." Some pics can be framed or put into regular albums. I find that making mini albums are sometimes better because you can get a lot of info in a smaller space.

Like you said, just keep on scrappin'!

ricanlaw said...

Girl. I hear you and you are voicing the same concerns that I am hearing all over various boards. I am guilty of doing the "one" photo page layouts, but that is a preference because as I've told you I struggled with 12x12 and putting multiple photos on an 8x8 is kind of hard to do if I want to submit it for consideration for a DT call or Pub. call. But this is going to be my challenge now...how to make a fabulous page using more than one photo! Stay tuned. My next layout for STM will be 2 photo spread, so wish me luck. I think we really need to let the magazines and manufacturers know that we are sick of this trend and it's not realistic to the large number of scrappers out there. Thanks for your post--you made a lot of valid points!

ricanlaw said...

by the way, you do not allow comments other than from google and I am using my husband's name, so the ricanlaw post is from me, Aleida. ;)

See you later hopefully.