Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fashionistas and their transformations...

Ok, so I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am overweight. Don't misunderstand this to mean I've given up on the battle of the buldge. I've just come to terms with this is who I am right now. For the past 2 years I've put off buying clothes that actually flatter my figure and make me look nice because I was always "saving the money till I lose weight." HUGE mistake. I learned all this, believe it or not, from TLC's what not to wear. It really is a show more about personal transformation than learning how to buy the trendy clothes. Stacey and Clinton, tho harsh in the beginning, really do seem to understand that plus size = beautiful, not fat! They have also told several of their transformees the only way to really make a chnage to better yourself is to better the person you are right now by taking care of yourself. If you feel better about who you are right now, you will have an easier time working to make yourself better. That's not to say you'll breeze through diet and exercise and lose 100 pounds, but you will learn to do it for the right reason, rather than because you hate yourself and your body.

I can't tell you how long it's taken me to come to this realization. Until a month ago, I really did hate the way I look. Then I started watching the TLC show and became inspired by several women with my same body type. Stacey and Clinton were way more than supportive and each plus size participant left the show looking fabulous and feeling better about themselves. It inspired me to do some self inspection of my own. I have since cleaned out the closet, disposing a few items that were less than pleasing to my shape. I also took some time to replace those items with some new, more colorful and flattering pieces. I know this transformation won't happen overnight, but it brings me hope that I can change, and I can do it for me and not the rest of the world who thinks the perfect girl is 5'7 and 110 lbs.

No comments: